Friday, July 30, 2010

The move

I decided to only take what would fit in my car. A few things contributed to that decision. First I wanted as fresh a new start as possible. I gave up the furniture and other things like that in divorce negotiations. I didn't really want them anyway. I wasn't in love with them. So mostly cloths and a few bare essential kitchen and bathroom items made it in my car. The other reason was that I didn't have a hitch on my car and I didn't want to pay the money to have it installed. I have a small storage unit in Vegas but most of my worldly possessions fit in my small SUV.

I left first thing on Friday morning and I was so excited when the compass in my car said E for east. I knew I would be seeing that a lot over the next week.


The worst weather I saw was a thunderstorm in New Mexico. I was very fortunate to have such beautiful weather except for a few hours on Friday.


First stop was in Lubbock, TX to stay the night with my cousin Amanda and her fiance Taylor. They tried to take me out for a night on the town but how much trouble can you get in during the summer in a college town... but we had fun!


On the road again


I could kick myself for not taking more pictures in Texas. I got to see my Aunt Laurie and my cousin Anthony who is growing like a weed. I spent some time with my Uncle Malcolm and Aunt Jennifer and their two kids that totally remind me of my niece and nephew. I had to remind myself that they were my cousins. And best of all I got to spend some quality time with my grandparents that I don't get to see very often. Luckily I'll be back in October for Amanda's wedding.

I kept noticing the scenery getting progressively greener as I moved across the country. This is somewhere in Oklahoma. This was definitely the most irritating state. Not only do they have weird freeway exits on the left hand side of the freeway but if you want the privilege of driving on their construction littered freeway...you have to PAY FOR IT. Re-diculous!


I got to St. Louis at 5:30 so of course I was stuck in traffic. But the good news is I got a decent picture of the Arch without having to stop :)


My route took me along the coast of Lake Erie through upstate New York and it was beautiful. The green went right up to the water in most places and the beach was small rocks instead of sand.


By the last day I was getting pretty impatient with semi trucks and their lack of movage to the right lane when I would like to pass them. FEDEX is the WORST!! I will only ship UPS because fedex has the most obnoxious drivers. The right lane is for traveling. The left lane is for passing. driving next to someone for 30 miles is not passing them.


And this is what 3,200 miles worth of bugs looks like.


And my very warm welcome from Janice and the dogs, Bear and Moose.


4 comments:

  1. IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DRIVE ACROSS THE US. YOU LUCKY DUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should have let me ride along. would it really have been that bad. I love sitting and looking out the window at new stuff. Glad your there safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, thanks for not letting me go either!! But I will be coming to visit - be ready. I want to see green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally with you on the left exits in Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete